Saturday, November 8, 2008

ECZEMA: Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Moisture Cream (Sammy Bear Pick)


Pros: Fast results, thicker than regular moisturizers but not very sticky, absorbs quickly, fragrance free.
Cons: Slight oatmeal scent from the oatmeal it contains (only a con if you don't like the smell of oatmeal).

When SB started showing signs of eczema at 1 month of age, I started my quest for the magical cream that would make it go away. I've suffered from eczema rashes as a child and even as an adult, so I know how bad it can get if you don't keep it in check. I did my research, tried various options on SB's sensitive skin, and my number one recommendation is this Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Moisture Cream (along with the Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Creamy Wash for bathtime).

I did a lot of digging around on online forums to see what other moms use for their children's eczema rashes, and I noticed that many of them recommended either Aquaphor Baby or this Aveeno moisture cream. Our pediatrician's office had also recommended Aquaphor Baby when SB was a month old and had suddenly developed this red, itchy-looking rash on his neck. So I tried it on him, and I have to say that I am not a fan. It is almost like Vaseline in consistency - greasy and sticky, which I didn't like. Also, I didn't see any noticeable difference in the rash after using it on SB for a couple of days. In fact, when I used it on his drool rash, it looked like it got worse. Before trying Aveeno, I had also tried Vaseline and Cetaphil based on recommendations, but neither worked very well, although the Vaseline worked okay on very mild rashes. When I tried the Aveeno Baby on SB's drool rash, it was almost completely gone the next day. It worked quickly on his eczema rashes, too. I had found my miracle cream!

The cream is a little thicker than regular moisturizers. It contains emollients and natural colloidal oatmeal for soothing the skin and is gentle enough even for newborn skin (I started using it on SB when he was 1 month old). I use it on SB's face and entire body after he gets out of the bath. According to many dermatologists, an important key for eczema-prone skin is to take lukewarm, not hot, baths and to moisturize immediately after the bath to lock in the moisture. When SB has an especially dry patch, I moisturize it a few times during the day, as well. By religiously applying the cream, the dry eczema patch will usually go away in 2-5 days, sometimes even the next day if it's a mild rash. This cream has also worked on his drool rashes, as well as on a very bad contact dermatitis rash he got on his back from the tagless labels on Carter's clothing (see sidebar for articles on this). His eczema is now about 99.9% gone (occasional small flare-ups only), and I mainly use the cream now as a preventative measure. I use it as soon as I see any dryness, and it has really kept his skin baby soft and smooth. It's so nice to see his smiling face without any angry red patches!

I should note, however, that there was one mom on a forum that commented that the Aveeno cream made her baby's rash sting. I'm not sure if she was basing that on the fact that her baby cried when she applied the cream or what, but SB has never shown any discomfort when I apply it and he has very sensitive skin. I also personally use it on my own eczema rash and have never experienced any stinging. I have noticed that it does sometimes cause a slight tingling sensation (almost like menthol ointment does), but not stinging. It could be that it causes stinging if there are breaks in the skin from scratching. I can't attest to that. But it is something to be aware of in any case. I personally am a huge fan of the Aveeno cream, because it is really the only thing that has worked to clear SB's rashes. Also, I like that it is fragrance free (better for sensitive skin), though it does have a slight oatmeal scent, which doesn't bother me.

The other products in the Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief line are the Creamy Wash, Diaper Rash Cream, and the Soothing Bath Treatment. I can't provide any feedback on the diaper rash cream and the bath treatment, because I've never tried them, but I regularly use the Creamy Wash on SB, and I really like it because it doesn't dry out his skin as much as other bath washes I've used. For sun protection, I also recommend Aveeno Baby Continuous Protection Sunblock with SPF 55. It is designed to be mild for sensitive baby skin, and it hasn't irritated SB's skin at all. A friend of mine had tried using Water Babies sunscreen on her 9 month old, and he broke out in a rash all over his body. She later tried Aveeno Baby sunscreen on him, and no problems.

The Aveeno moisture cream comes in tube form, which is available in two sizes: 5 oz and 8oz. You can purchase it at most drug stores, as well as at stores like Babies R Us, Walmart, and Target and online at sites like Amazon.com, though I wouldn't buy it online if you have to pay shipping. Make sure you don't confuse Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief with Aveeno Baby's other lines (Calming Comfort and Daily Moisture).

Retail price: In-store prices vary but you should be able to get the 5 oz tube for around $4.50-$5.50 (in my area, Walmart has the cheapest price); Online prices range from about $2+shipping (Amazon.com vendor) to $5.69+shipping (drugstore.com) for 5 oz tube

2 comments:

Triderma said...

Wow, this was an amazingly helpful post.

baby eczema

dry rough skin

cure dry cracked feet

diaper rash cream

Anonymous said...

http://bforbookmarking.com/story/style-up-your-look-with-tistabene-online
https://urlshortener.site/page/business-services/now-grab-stunning-collections-of-men-s-clothing
https://hitechdigitalservices.com/page/business-services/looking-to-buy-clothes
https://myfreelancerbook.com/page/entertainment/wondering-where-to-get-the-best-clothes-for-men
https://myaajkal.xyz/page/entertainment/visit-tistabene-for-its-amazing-quality-clothing-online
https://bookmarkfrog.com/thank-you/?status=approved&submitted=1
https://aajkaltrends.club/bookmarking/do-you-also-loves-travelling-check-out-tistabene.html
https://socialbookmarkingsitesindia.xyz/page/entertainment/looking-for-great-offers-then-do-check-tistabene
https://ybookmarking.com/story/buy-the-stylish-shirts-for-men-online
https://ubookmarking.com/story/tistabene-offers-you-the-best-quality-in-the-affordable-range