Friday, November 14, 2008

BIBS: Baby Bjorn Soft Bib (Sammy Bear Pick)


Pros: Easy to clean, deep pocket catches all kinds of food/liquid mess, neck is easily adjustable, made of PVC-free plastic.
Cons: Can't fold it up for easy portability.

A friend of mine bought SB this Baby Bjorn Soft Bib for his 1st birthday. It's one of the best gifts he got. It's made of thick, easy-to-clean, PVC-free plastic that is flexible yet durable and has a deep, contoured scoop for catching spills. When SB first started eating solids, I had started off using the usual cotton bibs, but I soon found out that they get way too messy way too quickly, and I'm not one who likes to be bleaching out stains or scrubbing bibs night and day.

I initially found the solution to this issue in an Ikea bib that is very similar to the Baby Bjorn bib. Like the Baby Bjorn, it is made of flexible plastic with a contoured scoop bottom. It worked great for about five months until the scoop formed a big crack, which made it basically useless when it came to liquid spills. The liquid would basically seep through the crack onto SB's lap. But I guess you get what you pay for. Ikea sells it for the whoppingly low price of $2.99, which includes a matching sippy cup, bowl, and spoon. I actually think it's worth the price, since I still use the other feeding accessories.

But back to the Baby Bjorn bib. This gift came right after the Ikea bib formed a crack, so it was great timing. The Baby Bjorn bib is a big improvement over the Ikea bib in that it is made of more flexible and more durable plastic. You can bend it without worrying about any cracking. Also, the neck is a little easier to adjust. The Ikea one has "teeth" that catch onto the bib through a hole, while the Baby Bjorn neck is formed like a bead necklace and you can pop any part of the necklace into the fastener.

What I really like about these scoop bibs is that they are so easy to clean. Either wipe them down, hand wash, or stick them in the dishwasher, as they're dishwasher safe. Our blue bib sometimes does get stained temporarily by a tomato-containing food, but the stain always disappears after a couple of hand washes. (If you get it in red, the bib may be better at hiding any food stains.) What SB loves about the bib is that if he drops a Cheerio, instead of it landing on the floor, it lands in the scoop pocket where he can rescue it and happily pop it into his mouth.

One small negative about the bib is that you can't fold it up or roll it up for travel purposes. You can bend it down the middle so that it's more compact but that's it. It's small enough that it will fit in my diaper bag, but it ends up taking up quite a bit of the space. I tried out vinyl bibs that have a pocket at the bottom, because I thought they might work as well as the Baby Bjorn and be more portable at the same time. I found out very quickly that those pockets are basically useless. They don't stay open, so they don't catch any spills, so it's almost the same as not having a pocket at all. So much for those bibs.

I recently did a quick web search to see what else is out there, and I found another soft plastic bib on the market- it's called the Bibbity Bib by Kiddopotamus. The bib looks very similar to the Baby Bjorn one, but apparently it is flexible enough that you can roll up the top part and tuck it into the scoop part, making it more portable. Some other good features are that it's BPA free, lead free, PVC free, phthalate free, and latex free. I haven't tried it out yet, but I'm interested in seeing whether it's as good as the Baby Bjorn bib. Stay tuned... (2-pack available for $11.99 at Target, making it cheaper than the Baby Bjorn bib)

If you have a little girl, you might also be interested in this cute Hello Kitty scoop bib I came across on the web recently. I haven't seen it in person, so I can't comment on how flexible or durable it is, but it's definitely cute! It is made of polyethylene, which does not contain BPA, phthalates, or PVC.

Retail price of Baby Bjorn bib: $9.95 (2-pack $17.95) on Amazon and $9.99 (2-pack $19.99) at Target (available in blue, green, yellow, pink, and red)

3 comments:

Lovemypets said...

I'm using this plastic bib from the Japanese maker "Aprica" and it works pretty well. It is flexible, making it easy to roll up to go, but haven't tried doing that yet.

Unknown said...

The only bib that has worked for me are silicone bibs. I wouldn't know what to do without it. My feeding time with my baby has been a lot more fun.

http://ghcbibs.com

Hqsmart buys said...

Parents can have a happy time while making their kids comfortable while eating by using the most comfortable and easily washable deep catcher baby food bibs.