Friday, January 23, 2009

TOYS: Rub a Dub Stickers for the Tub: Beep Beep! by Alex (Sammy Bear Pick)


Pros: Bright, fun colors; good variety of stickers; makes bathtime fun for SB; easy cleanup; comes with a mesh storage bag that can be suctioned to the bathtub.
Cons: None.

I bought these Rub a Dub foam "stickers" for SB recently, as I was looking for something to make bathtime extra fun for him. He had fallen out of love with baths for some reason and would wail as soon as I turned on the bath faucet. He has some bath squirt toys (rubber ducky, fish, whale, etc.) that he used to love playing with, but they no longer were enough to make him happy about bathtime. I was reluctant to buy new squirt toys for him, because I have found that squirters tend to get mildewy inside if you don't get every last drop of water out of them after bathtime (especially in our humid FL climate). On too many occasions has SB squirted out mildewy water into the tub. Not my idea of getting clean.

So I started looking for some alternatives to squirt toys - preferably ones that involve cars, trucks, etc., since SB loooves anything that goes "vroom" - and I came across these Beep Beep foam bath stickers. If your little one is not into cars, there are a variety of Rub a Dub bath sticker sets to choose from, including ABC letters, farm animals, an ocean theme, numbers and shapes, a garden theme, and more.

The set of Beep Beep stickers contains 27 foam pieces that include cars, buses, trains, motorcycles, planes, traffic lights, signs, and interconnecting roadways. They are very bright and colorful, and the colors would appeal to either boys or girls, in my opinion. The pieces float in the water, and when they are wet, they stick to the bathtub or wall. They don't have any adhesives, so they're not stickers in the traditional sense. They're just made of foam. They come with a mesh storage bag, which makes for easy cleanup and drying. The bag has two suction cups that can stick to your bathtub or wall, so you can hang it up easily. So far I've had no mildew issues with these foam pieces, which makes me very happy.

So did they succeed in getting SB to fall back in love with bathtime? The answer, happily, is "yes!" I showed the stickers to SB before his bathtime, and he immediately wanted to play with them. Although he still protested a little bit initially when I put him in his bath, it only took a couple of days before he started smiling again when I announced, "Bathtime!" In fact, now he doesn't even want to get out of the tub, because he enjoys playing with the stickers so much. There are so many stickers in the set that I've only given him about half of them to play with. The other half I'll save for if/when he gets tired of the current ones. He loves to take them out of the bag and stick them all up on the wall while saying "vroom vroom vroom."

The maker of these foam stickers, Alex, lists the recommended age for this product as 2+ years, but I think they're fine for 1+ years (SB is 15 months). Foam toys typically are described as choking hazards for kids under 3, but since these are for bath use and I assume that a parent is always supervising the child in the tub, there should be little risk of your little one biting off a piece and then swallowing it. The Beep Beep stickers are quite durable, and none of the individual pieces are small enough to be swallowed whole.

Retail Price: $13.99 on the Alex site (available for $11.99 at Target online and in stores, $14.20 at Amazon.com [eligible for Free Super Saver shipping])

No comments: