Tuesday, December 2, 2008

CDs: Rockabye Baby! Albums (Sammy Bear Pick)


Pros: Can introduce your little one to your favorite rock band and soothe him/her to sleep at the same time. (yes, really)
Cons: None.

If you're tired of the old, standard lullabies and want to add something a bit more "contemporary" to your little one's bedtime mix, then the
Rockabye Baby! CD album series might be just the thing. We received two of the Rockabye Baby! albums from a friend when SB was born: "Lullaby Renditions of U2" and "Lullaby Renditions of Radiohead." Sound intriguing? As you might guess from the titles, this album series transforms familiar rock/classical rock/punk rock/heavy metal tunes into soothing lullabies, if you can believe it. The music sources range from U2 to the Rolling Stones to Nirvana to Bjork to Led Zeppelin to Metallica. Yup, you heard me - Metallica. There's much more. Check out the selection of 24 albums here.

If you're wondering how in the world the music of Metallica could be made to be soothing and relaxing for babies, then think harps, glockenspiels, and vibraphones. It's all soothing instrumentals with a slowed up tempo. From the time he was born, I nursed or rocked SB to sleep with the calming music of "U2" playing in the background, and it became an integral part of our nighttime ritual. When I turned the music on, he seemed to know it was bedtime. It was so relaxing it often put me to sleep, as well!

I love these CDs, because I can recognize my favorite tunes and enjoy them along with SB. I'm a big U2 fan, so I tend to play that one over the Radiohead one (though don't tell my friend that or he'd be insulted). I think they'd make a great gift for any rock-loving new parent. Any AC/DC fan who just had a baby would surely want to play "Lullaby Renditions of AC/DC" for their little one. Music appreciation can never start too early!

Retail price: $16.98 on Rockabye Baby! website (available for $13.99 on Amazon.com)


No comments: